Each of us experiences our own unique perceptions within important relationships. My goal as your couples’ counselor is to help you learn how to work through struggles and realize the full potential of your kinship. I offer solution-focused couple counseling and strategies to boost communication skills, and increase feelings of trust, good will, and connection.
I have helped many couples rediscover their love and connection for each other. Together, we work through issues such as mistrust, issues surrounding an affair, intimacy, communication differences, differences in how we grew up, parenting and family struggles.
My style is active, warm, non-judgmental with a little gentle humor, as well. I consider and honor differences in how people think and feel. Should you decide to consult with me, you will be comfortable and supported in whatever style suits you best. There is no one right way to communicate, the key is understanding what makes each other tick and learning how to connect effectively.
A Research-Based Approach to Couple Counseling
The couples I see run the gamut from pre-marital counseling to seeking to strengthen a relationship to those who feel quite disconnected from each other. We start with the places you find common ground (your foundation) and then take action to create more connection and possibilities in your lives together.
One way I work with couples is through the use of Gottman Couples Counseling. I have completed level 1, 2 and 3 of this couple treatment method. This is a research based, goal-oriented approach to help you arrive at a more fulfilling and healthy relationship. Gottman’s Sound Relationship House theory is a highly engaging and effective way to help couples get back to the heart of their relationship.
Couple Counseling helps:
- Boost communication and empathy skills
- Increase levels of trust, connection and commitment
- Work through betrayal/affairs
- Identify behavior patterns and teaches you how to navigate your couple conflict (how you disagree) cycle
- Resolve conflict peacefully
- Address concerns in a constructive environment
- Increase respect and admiration for you and your partner
- with Pre-Marital Counseling
- with New marriage or relationship building following divorce/separation
- with Preparing or adjusting for a new baby
- with Interfaith Couple Counseling (both pre-marital & marital counseling)
As a family systems oriented therapist, I draw from a variety of approaches and techniques to help you and your mate. These include including Gottman Method Couples Therapy, Bowen Family Systems Therapy, shame resilience/empathy skill building and mindfulness training.
I value gender, sexual, racial, class, disability and religious/spiritual identity. Contact me to set up an initial appointment for couple counseling. Just call/text me at 202-215-2790 or email me at JKogan@Jennifer Kogan.com.